Oshkosh Corporation Fire & Emergency segment, including Pierce Manufacturing, Oshkosh Airport Products, and Frontline Communications, has introduced the Volterra platform of electric vehicles for the fire and emergency market.
In recent years, municipalities and airports worldwide have made green initiatives an integral priority, compelling fire departments to seek environmentally-conscious fire apparatus that reduce emissions, minimize fuel consumption, and produce less noise.
“Our electric vehicles designed around Oshkosh proprietary and patented technology will provide the environmental benefits fire departments request, without having to compromise on the leading-edge operational performance, functionality, safety attributes, customization, and the traditional configurations and styling customers expect from our fire apparatus,” said Jim Johnson, Oshkosh Corporation executive vice president and president of Fire & Emergency.
The first Pierce Volterra zero-emissions pumper has been placed in service with the City of Madison, Wisconsin, Fire Department, making this the first electric fire truck in service in North America. The Volterra pumper is serving front line duty at Station 8, the City of Madison’s busiest fire station.
“The City of Madison is committed to many sustainability initiatives allowing us to meet our needs without compromising those of future generations,” said Fire Chief Steven Davis. “Pierce’s Volterra electric pumper allows us to keep an environmentally-conscious focus on reducing emissions while maintaining our traditional pumper configuration without impacting our operational procedures. We are eager to lead change by responsibly supporting our environment together with achieving our critical daily missions.”
City of Madison’s Volterra Electric Vehicle Configuration:
- Enforcer custom chassis
- Expanded occupant space and visibility
- Seating capacity: 6
- GVWR: 42,000 lbs.
- TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension
- 1500 GPM single stage pump
- 500-gallon water tank
- Compartmentation: 150 cubic feet plus ladder storage
- Hose capacity: 1,000 feet of 5-inch / 850 feet of 2.5-inch
- 155 kW hour battery pack to meet the City of Madison’s daily duty cycle
Volterra Electric Vehicle Operation:
- An Oshkosh patented parallel-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries, and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system
- Operational range tailored to the fire department’s needs and duty cycle for full-shift operation
- Fire station-based, all-encompassing vehicle charging infrastructure provided by an established nationwide energy supplier offers a thorough, simple, and fast charging solution
In partnership with the City of Madison Fire Department, Pierce will continue the final development, evaluation, and on-highway certification process for the Pierce Volterra electric vehicle.
Oshkosh Airport Products – Volterra Platform of Electric Vehicles
The Striker Volterra performance hybrid Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) vehicle is also making its debut at airports across the country. Based on Oshkosh proprietary technology, the new Striker Volterra is a hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) that has been developed to meet the growing emergency response and environmentally conscious needs among airports of all sizes. It is available on the 4x4 and 6x6 chassis platforms.
Striker Volterra 6x6 Vehicle Configuration:
- Modular cab design
-Center steer driving position
-Industry-leading forward visibility
-Ergonomic control placement
-Seating capacity: 5
- TAK-4 all-wheel independent suspension
- 50-foot (15.2 m) Snozzle HRET with Oshkosh K-Factor piercing tip alignment system
- 3,170-gallon (12,000 liter) water tank
- 444-gallon (1,680 liter) foam tank
- 2000 GPM (7,570 LPM) water pump
- 550-lb. (225 kg) dry chemical powder system
- Scania DC13 engine
- Oshkosh power divider
Striker Volterra Hybrid Electric Vehicle Operation:
- An Oshkosh patented hybrid-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system
- Faster acceleration: The Striker Volterra is capable of achieving 28% improved acceleration when fully loaded, resulting in a quickened response time
- Idle reduction for up to one hour of zero-emissions standby using onboard energy storage
- Zero-emission driving during entry and exit of the fire station using onboard energy storage
- Available plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) options for further electric vehicle driving capabilities
- Fully compliant to NFPA 414 and ICAO standards while being certified to off-highway EPA and EU regulations.
During the next several months, the Striker Volterra performance hybrid will be showcased at airports across the United States, giving firefighters the opportunity to experience it first-hand.
Originally posted on Government Fleet