Councillors in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada, accepted a corporate climate change mitigation plan for the county during their online Aug. 12 committee-of-the-whole meeting, according to The Times of Minden Ontario.
Climate change co-ordinator Korey McKay, hired by the county last fall, prepared a report that lays a roadmap for the county to reach a target of a 15% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.
The report states 82% of the county's emissions come from its vehicle fleet, with the remaining 18% coming from its buildings.
For the vehicle fleet, McKay suggested the installation of electric vehicle charging stations, which could be used both for the county’s fleet and by members of the public on a scheduled basis, as well an anti-idling policy and purchasing policy prioritizing lowest-carbon options.
For buildings, McKay said some actions could include undertaking an energy audit and, based on the results of that audit, recreate a schedule for replacement of various items with low-carbon and energy efficient options. Another could be the creation of a green new building policy.
Originally posted on Government Fleet
See all comments